Over the years many people have stayed in the cottages and chalets at Reelig and have enjoyed their time relaxing and exploring the Highlands from this family-run estate.
The Frasers have been at Reelig for over 500 years. The estate rises from low agricultural ground through beech woods and firs to open moorland hundreds of feet above sea level. The cottages on the estate, once homes for the miller, the gardener etc. have been refurbished. These properties are leased on a residential basis giving the estate a real feel of community.
In the eighteenth century the Frasers of Reelig supported the Jacobite cause and a member of the next generation, Edward Satchwell Fraser (1751-1835) fought in the War of American Independence. Two of his five sons, James Baillie Fraser (1783-1856)
and William Fraser (1784-1835) distinguished themselves in India, William in the political field and James as a painter and author. William died in India but James came home to improve his estate, in particular by continuing his father's work planting, building and creating walks in what is known locally as the Fairy Glen. Ownership was transferred to the Forestry Commission in 1949 and is now known as the Tall Trees Walk.